One-on-One Peer Support Program
This piece of the Peer Support Program is intended to offer direct and personalized peer support to the active or retired FDNY firefighter and his/her family member
WHAT IT IS:
- Support by a peer (firefighter or firefighter family member)
- Confidential: There is no reporting back to the department. The peer may turn to FoF counselors for support if necessary. There is no gossip.
- Accessible from anywhere: can be accessed in person or over the phone. A retired FDNY firefighter living outside of New York told us that he just wanted to speak to someone with a familiar background as there are not many people in his area who have a similar experience. We were able to connect him with a peer over the phone.
WHAT IT IS NOT:
- A crisis hotline
- A professional mental health counselor
- No ranks: In this program, peers are peers.
HOW TO ACCESS:
- Call FoF. We will listen to your concern and set up a phone call with a peer supporter.
“People feel more comfortable speaking with a peer before speaking to a counselor. Speaking to a firefighter or firefighter’s family member allows them to open up more. The relationship at the beginning is very important.” – Tony Catapano, Retired FDNY firefighter and FoF peer supporter